Like many issuers, Wells Fargo continues to revisit and revamp its credit card offerings. Fresh on the heels of last year’s launch of the Wells Fargo Active Cash® Card and Wells Fargo Reflect℠ Card comes another rewards card from the issuer.
The Wells Fargo Autograph℠ Card, launched nationwide in July 2022, is a welcome option for consumers who want points in everyday spending categories like dining, travel, gas and more. We’re going to break down the card features along with benefits you can expect as an Autograph credit card holder.
Wells Fargo Autograph Card details
- Rewards rate: 3X points on restaurants, travel, transit, gas stations, popular streaming services and phone plans; 1X points on all other purchases
- Welcome offer: 30,000 bonus rewards points, worth $300 in cash redemption, when you spend $1,500 in the first three months
- Annual fee: $0
- Purchase intro APR: 0 percent intro APR for the first 12 months from account opening on purchases, followed by a 16.49 percent, 21.49 percent or 26.49 percent variable APR
Before we dive into its benefits, it’s worth pointing out some of the key features of this card. The generous rewards rate on plenty of common spending categories means you’ve got the potential to earn even more.
If you factor in its generous welcome bonus of 30,000 bonus rewards points when you spend $1,500 in the first three months, you stand to earn even more. Many cards with similar rewards rates and welcome bonuses will charge an annual fee, whereas the Autograph card does not.
Based on these card details alone, there are plenty of valuable features you can take advantage of. However, there are still a few other card perks and benefits to take note of.
Wells Fargo Autograph Card benefits
The great thing about this card is that you get a relatively high rewards rate on various common spending categories. Unlike some rotating bonus category cards, there’s no need to activate your spending categories each quarter. Simply swipe your card for purchases, and you’ll earn 3X points on restaurants, travel and transit, gas stations, popular streaming services and phone plans. Then, you’ll get 1X points on all other spending.
The Autograph Card offers various flexible rewards redemption options, including:
- Statement credits
- Physical cash in $20 increments at Wells Fargo ATMs (using a Wells Fargo debit or ATM card)
- Direct deposits into Wells Fargo savings or checking accounts
- Gift cards (via Wells Fargo Rewards)
- Travel (including flights, car rentals and hotel stays) via Wells Fargo Rewards
The minimum redemption amount is $1 or 100 rewards points. Rewards may also be redeemed with a manual request or automatically. If you set up automatic redemption, it can only be in increments of $25 in cash rewards or 2,500 points.
You can also redeem through Wells Fargo Rewards while getting additional points through My Wells Fargo Deals, a merchant-funded offers platform covering spending on things like shopping, dining and experiences.
If you’ve got a larger purchase on the horizon, the welcome bonus can help fund a portion or even all of it — and the 0 percent intro APR for the first 12 months can help you save on interest. Once the 12-month term is over, you’ll have a 16.49 percent, 21.49 percent or 26.49 percent variable APR. If your credit score is on the lower end, though, be mindful that you could end up with a very high APR if you don’t pay off your balance in time.
This popular card benefit is offered across many Wells Fargo cards. Essentially, this insurance protects your cellphone against damage or theft for up to $600 per claim (subject to a $25 deductible) each month you pay your cellphone bill with the card.
If your rental car is damaged in an accident or stolen, your Autograph card covers you up to $50,000. To take advantage of this benefit, you must charge the full rental cost to your card and provide a letter of coverage with the rental agency (if required). Different terms apply for the U.S. versus overseas rentals.
Visa Signature perks
As a Wells Fargo Autograph cardholder, you’ll also qualify for Visa Signature benefits:
- Visa Signature Concierge services (complimentary 24/7 assistance in booking travel, event tickets and dinner reservations)
- Access to the Luxury Hotel Collection properties
- Travel and emergency assistance services
- Extended warranty protection and online product registration for easier claim filing
No foreign transaction fees
The Autograph Card doesn’t charge foreign transaction fees. This makes it a great option for vacations or other globe-trotting opportunities.
How to maximize the Wells Fargo Autograph Card’s benefits
Since the Autograph card offers rewards in categories you’ll likely spend in frequently anyway, it won’t be hard to get a lot of value out of this card. Here are some suggestions to help you take advantage of the card’s benefits:
- Welcome bonus: Plan to purchase enough on this card ($1,500 within the first three months) to get the welcome bonus, worth $300.
- Bonus categories: Use this card for your transactions in the bonus categories that earn 3X points: restaurants, travel and transit, gas stations, streaming services and cellphone plans.
- Cellphone benefit: Be sure to pay your cellphone bill with this card. That way, you can be eligible for this benefit should you need to file an insurance claim.
- Rental car coverage: If you’re planning to travel, use this card for your rental car charges. Again, this will make you eligible if you need to file an insurance claim.
- No foreign transaction fees: If you plan on traveling abroad, consider taking this card with you, as you won’t be charged additional fees on your purchases.
- Redeem your rewards: Redeem your hard-earned rewards for cash or things like gift cards, flights, car rentals and hotel stays through the Wells Fargo Rewards site.
The bottom line
The Wells Fargo Autograph card is a great no-annual-fee option for earning rewards on common spending categories. Our only complaint is that there aren’t many options to optimize the rewards you’ll earn for travel — whether through travel partners or a rewards boost by using the issuer’s travel portal.
However, if you don’t have an immediate need for a travel credit card with these features, the Wells Fargo Autograph card is a respectable option with enough perks and benefits to still make it worthwhile.